Civil War Pen, Handmade Ballpoint Pen in Antique Brass and Brown Mallee Burl
This is a beautifully sculpted wooden ink pen, from the remarkably detailed Model 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket clip to the replica 58 Caliber Minie' Ball on the cap and 44 Colt Army Bullet on the end, It’s the perfect gift for Civil War enthusiasts, gun aficionados, history buffs, outdoors-men. The replicated bullets and musket are precisely detailed for ultimate authenticity. This ink pen was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Brown Mallee Burl has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a high shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Pen ships with instructions for use in a hard clear topped case for protection or gift giving.
Civil War Pens Antiqued Brass
Antiqued brass components have a brass, copper or zinc base with a brass plating. The components are then darkened to give them a "distressed" (oxidized) appearance. The authentic patina and natural darkening brings out the details of the finish and creates a unique feel with a charm all its own.
Civil War Pens Brown Mallee Burl
Brown Mallee Burl - Usually smaller and shorter than trees, mallees grow multiple smaller-diameter stems from a common root system. Because of this, most mallee species are ill suited for lumber, though they do have a propensity for burl growths that can be harvested and used for turning and other small specialty projects.
As opposed to Red Mallee, the appellation Brown Mallee doesn’t refer to a specific tree of the same name, but rather describes burl pieces from various Eucalyptus species where the wood itself is brown in color. Burls yield a very peculiar and highly figured wood, prized for its beauty and rarity.
Handcrafted Civil War Ink Pens Features and Specs
- Ink Pen Type – Ballpoint
- Pen Type Operation – Twist
- Fittings – Antique Brass Finish
- Material – Wood – Brown Mallee Burl
- Color – Creams and Browns
- Length – 4-7/8 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .482 in
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – unscrew tip of pen
- Pen Operation – Twist cap to extend and retract
- Weight – 1.7 oz
- Ink Color – Black Ballpoint
- Ink Cartridge Type – Parker style refill
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
- NOTE: This pen finish has been left as a satin finish and has indentations in the finish that give the burl texture and to mimic an older pen.
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Handcrafted Ink Pens Crafting Process
The Civil War ink pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added
Materials: Brown Mallee Burl, Antique Brass, wood, metal, burl.