Fountain Pen, Handmade Pen in Rhodium and Birdseye Maple
Medium sized fountain pen has a clean sleek design that never goes out of style. Components are plated with extremely durable Rhodium. Fountain Pen has a regal center band for a more decorative and timeless look. This fountain ink pen was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Exhibition Grade Birdseye Maple has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a high shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Fountain Pen ships in Premium Black Leatherette Pen Gift Box with instructions for use. These elegant gift boxes feature leatherette materials that are stitched along all exterior edges. This box has a rich soft touch covering and the interior is lined with a suede-like fabric.
Fountain Pens Rhodium Plating
Rhodium is a member of the platinum family of metals. This writing instrument is plated with rhodium, an exquisite and valuable precious metal from the Rhodium chemical group. Rhodium's brilliance, hardness, and beauty make it a favorite of fine pen makers and collectors. Rhodium is extremely durable; it resists tarnish and is very resistant to scratching, and acids. It is often the plating of choice on high end pens.
Fountain Pens Exhibition Grade Birdseye Maple
Bird's Eye is a type of figure that occurs within several kinds of wood, most notably in hard maple. It has a distinctive pattern that resembles tiny, swirling eyes disrupting the smooth lines of grain. It is somewhat reminiscent of a burl, but it is quite different: the small knots that make the burl are missing. It is not known what causes the phenomenon.
This extremely rare bird’s-eye figure is in demand worldwide and has been for over 150 years. In many foreign countries, bird’s-eye maple is considered a status symbol and ranks among the most expensive woods in the world. In addition to the uniqueness of the bird’s-eye figure, it is only found in limited localities in the United States and Canada which adds to the demand for this maple tree anomaly.
Fountain Pens Features and Specs
- Ink Pen Type – Fountain Pen
- Pen Type Operation – Unscrew Cap
- Pen Operation – Unscrew cap and post onto other end
- Fittings – Rhodium
- Material – Wood – Ex.Grade Birdeye Maple
- Color – Creams and Tan with high figuring
- Length Capped – 5-1/8 in >
- Length Uncapped – 4-9/16 in
- Length Posted – 6-1/8 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .325 in
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – Unscrew tip
- Weight – 1.4 oz
- Includes (2) each ink cartridges – Black, Blue and Red
- Ink Cartridge Type – Waterman Style
- Includes a refillable ink pump
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Handcrafted Pens Crafting Process
The Fountain pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added
Materials: rhodium, birdseye maple, metal, wood.