Fountain Pen, Handmade in Upgrade Gold with Clear Box Elder
The Fountain Pen is a popular sized fountain pen with simple clean lines and a professional look. This classic style is a step up with a higher grade of finishes and a bit larger, medium sized pen. This Fountain Pen was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Wood, Clear Box Elder, has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a high shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Handcrafted Pen, ships in Premium Black Leatherette Pen Gift Box with instructions for use. These elegant gift boxes feature leatherette materials that are stitched along all exterior edges. This box has a rich soft touch covering and the interior is lined with a suede-like fabric..
Fountain Pens Upgrade Gold Plating
Few metals capture the heart like gold. A traditional choice for all types of pens, gold is the most easily worked of all metals because it is naturally very soft and malleable. Upgrade gold plating means that the parts are plated using the rack method and that small amounts of cobalt or palladium are added to the plating chemicals. This enhances the durability of the gold plating. This results in a more durable finish than the tumbled method.
Handcrafted Fountain Pens Clear Box Elder
Box Elder looks great as a clear wood in its natural state and the result is some stunning wood that looks fantastic on our pens.
Fast-growing box elder was widely planted throughout the East and Midwest for street shade and windbreaks until the early 20th century. However, because it lacked the beauty, resistance to storm damage, and long life of its more glamorous cousin, the sugar maple, the practice eventually was discouraged. In the open reaches of the Great Plains through which flows the Missouri River, though, the box elder was welcome. Able to endure climate extremes and drought, it grew to greater stature, providing needed shade and shelter from the ever-present winds. Its seeds, like tiny helicopters, swirled with the breezes to find homes for sprouting, and grew where nothing did before. A true maple, box elder even today is tapped for its sweet sap, which is made into syrup and sugar. This is especially true in its western range, where the preferred sugar maple fails to grow.
Fountain Pens Features and Specs
- Ink Pen Type – Fountain Pen
- Pen Type Operation – Unscrew Cap
- Pen Operation – Unscrew cap and screw onto other end
- Fittings – Upgrade Gold
- Material – Wood – Clear Box Elder
- Color – Medium Grey with Light Grey Figuring
- Length Capped – 5-3/8 in
- Length Uncapped – 5 in
- Length Posted – 7 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .328 in
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – Unscrew tip
- Weight – 1.5 oz
- Includes (6) ink cartridges, (2) each, Black, Blue and Red
- Ink Cartridge Type – Waterman Style
- Includes a refillable ink pump
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Ink Pen Crafting Process
The Fountain pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added
Materials: gold, box elder, metal, wood.