Civil War Pen, Handmade Ballpoint Pen in Antique Brass and Masur Birch Wood
This is a beautifully sculpted wooden ink pen, from the remarkably detailed Model 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket clip to the replica 58 Caliber Minie' Ball on the cap and 44 Colt Army Bullet on the end, It’s the perfect gift for Civil War enthusiasts, gun aficionados, history buffs, outdoors men. The replicated bullets and musket are precisely detailed for ultimate authenticity. This ink pen was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Masur Birch has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a high shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Pen ships in Premium Black Leatherette Pen Gift Box with instructions for use. These elegant gift boxes feature leatherette materials that are stitched along all exterior edges. This box has a rich soft touch covering and the interior is lined with a suede-like fabric.
Civil War Pens Antique Brass Plating
Antiqued brass components have a brass, copper or zinc base with a brass plating. The components are then darkened to give them a "distressed" (oxidized) appearance. The authentic patina and natural darkening brings out the details of the finish and creates a unique feel with a charm all its own.
Civil War Pens Masur Birch Wood Finish
Masur Birch is similar to Birdseye Maple in that it's not a species, but has a unique enough grain pattern to have its own category. The species grows throughout Europe/Asia and the finished pens are stunning. Once surmised to have been caused by the boring larvae of a certain beetle the resulting figure and appearance is very similar to burl wood or Birdseye maple, though of a different origin.
Handcrafted Pens Features and Specs
- Ink Pen Type – Ballpoint
- Pen Type Operation – Twist
- Fittings – Antique Copper Finish
- Material – Wood – Masur Birch
- Color – Highly Figured Creams and Brown
- Length – 4-7/8 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .501 in
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – unscrew tip of pen
- Pen Operation – Twist cap to extend and retract
- Weight – 1.6 oz
- Ink Color – Black Ballpoint
- Ink Cartridge Type – Upgraded, Schmidt Easy-Flow Parker style refill
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Handcrafted Pens Crafting Process
The Civil War ink pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added
Materials: Antique Brass, Masur Birch, metal, wood.