Civil War Pen, Handmade Ballpoint Pen in Antique Copper and Pink Ivory
This is a beautifully sculpted wooden ink pen, from the remarkably detailed Model 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket clip to the replica 58 Caliber Minie' Ball on the cap and 44 Colt Army Bullet on the end, It’s the perfect gift for Civil War enthusiasts, gun aficionados, history buffs, outdoors-men. The replicated bullets and musket are precisely detailed for ultimate authenticity. This ink pen was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Pink Ivory has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a high shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Pen ships with instructions for use in a hard clear topped case for protection or gift giving.
Civil War Pens Antique Copper Plating
Antiqued copper plate is copper plating that has been darkened to provide "distressed" (oxidized) appearance. It gives the components an aged copper look, but without the verdigris.
Copper offers a unique beauty and warmth. Because copper is soft by nature, these pens feature this plating will often have a protective clear layer on top of the copper plating to increase resistance to wear. The authentic patina and natural darkening brings out the details of the finish and creates a unique feel with a charm all its own.
Civil War Pens Pink Ivory Wood Finish
A fairly rare wood from Southern Africa, it ranges in color from light pink to watermelon red. It is very dense, hard and heavy and takes a very high polish.
Pink Ivory trees are said to be both rare and valuable, and have been rumored to be “rarer than diamonds.” Other reports state that the tree is relatively common in some areas of South Africa—though large trees with straight, defect-free trunks are much scarcer. According to folklore, the tree is considered sacred to the Zulus in South Africa and is reserved for royalty.
Handcrafted Pens Features and Specs
- Ink Pen Type – Ballpoint
- Pen Type Operation – Twist
- Fittings – Antique Copper Finish
- Material – Wood – Pink Ivory
- Color – Pink to reddish Browns
- Length – 4-7/8 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .501 in
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – unscrew tip of pen
- Pen Operation – Twist cap to extend and retract
- Weight – 1.6 oz
- Ink Color – Black Ballpoint
- Ink Cartridge Type – Upgraded, Schmidt Easy-Flow Parker style refill
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Handcrafted Pens Crafting Process
The Civil War ink pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added
Materials: Antique Copper, Pink Ivory, copper, metal, wood.