Handcrafted Nautical Pen in Antique Copper and Spalted Tamarind
This beautifully sculpted nautical ink pen makes the perfect gift for any Sea lover. Throughout history sailing has been instrumental in the development of civilization, affording mobility for trade, transport, warfare, and fishing. This pen captures the romance and adventure of old sailing ships. It has a captivating scene engraved on the tip of a grand tall ship, while the cap is embellished with the captain's wheel and compass. Nautical rope accents can be found throughout and encircling the detailed Anchor clip, which given its history, is considered a symbol of well-grounded hope. Pen includes an upgraded, Schmidt Easy-Flow Parker style refill, for a smooth writing performance. This ink pen was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Spalted Tamarind has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a gloss shine that is extremely beautiful and durable.
Pen ships in Premium Black Leatherette Pen Gift Box with instructions for use. These elegant gift boxes feature leatherette materials that are stitched along all exterior edges. This box has a rich soft touch covering and the interior is lined with a suede-like fabric.
Handcrafted Antique Copper Pen Plating
Antiqued copper plate is copper plating that has been darkened to provide "distressed" (oxidized) appearance. It gives the components an aged copper look, but without the verdigris.
Copper offers a unique beauty and warmth. Because copper is soft by nature, these pens feature this plating will often have a protective clear layer on top of the copper plating to increase resistance to wear. The authentic patina and natural darkening brings out the details of the finish and creates a unique feel with a charm all its own.
Handmade Nautical Pens Wood
Spalted Tamarind is a beautiful exotic wood often found lying on the forest floor. The rotting effect on Tamarind creates the spalted look that varies from piece to piece. Spalting is a by-product of the rotting process that is carried out by a vast array of stain, mold and decay fungi, that are found naturally on the forest floor. When the temperature and humidity are right, spalting can cause many different and beautiful patterns in rotting wood. Before turning, the wood is stabilized, to ensure hardness and durability.
Handcrafted Nautical Ink Pens Features and Specs
- Ink Pen Type – Ballpoint
- Pen Type Operation – Twist
- Fittings – Antique Copper Finish
- Material – Wood – Spalted Tamarind
- Color – Dramatic Markings in Creams and Browns
- Length – 5-1/2 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .495 in
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – Unscrew Tip of pen
- Pen Operation – Twist top and bottom halves to extend and retract
- Weight – 1.8 oz
- Ink Color – Black Ballpoint
- Ink Cartridge Type – Upgraded, Schmidt Easy-Flow Parker style refill
- Includes pen case shown in photo for display or gifting
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Ink Pen Crafting Process
The Nautical ink pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added.
Materials: Antique Copper, Spalted Tamarind, metal, copper, wood, black ink.