Mayan Pen,Handcrafted Pen in Antique Copper and Maroon Pearl Acrylic
The Mayan style ink pen is one of the most detailed pens I make. The pen cap features a stepped pyramid, topped by the face of the sun god, Kinich Ahua. whose tongue is sticking out in request of sacrifices. Below this is wrapped the serpent god, Quetzalcoatl, a deity revered in ancient Mesoamerica, and god of the morning star. Topping the clip is the most revered symbol of all, the Jaguar. Rulers, warriors, and priests revered this feline. Below the Jaguar is a sacrificial knife, a symbol of ritual sacrifice as well a symbol for a fierce and formidable people that built an empire, and whose descendants still walk the earth. The pen band captures each of the 20 Mayan sun signs in extraordinary detail. Excellent weight, balance and a smooth writing performance with a Parker style refill. Matched with the Acrylic, Maroon Pearl makes this pen stunning. This Handcrafted pen has been meticulously turned, sanded to12000 grit, polished and assembled by hand. Handcrafted Pen ships in Premium Black Leatherette Pen Gift Box with instructions for use. These elegant gift boxes feature leatherette materials that are stitched along all exterior edges. This box has a rich soft touch covering and the interior is lined with a suede-like fabric.
Mayan Pens Antique Copper Plating
Antiqued copper plate is copper plating that has been darkened to provide "distressed" (oxidized) appearance. It gives the components an aged copper look, but without the verdigris.
Copper offers a unique beauty and warmth. Because copper is soft by nature, these pens feature this plating will often have a protective clear layer on top of the copper plating to increase resistance to wear. The authentic patina and natural darkening brings out the details of the finish and creates a unique feel with a charm all its own.
Mayan Pens Acrylic Finish
The Ink Pens color, Maroon Pearl, is a tough form of plastic for pens. The acrylic material has been turned, sanded and polished to a high shine that is extremely beautiful and durable.
Mayan Pens Features and Specs
- Ink Pen Type – Twist Ink Pen
- Pen Operation – Twist two halves
- Fittings – Antique Copper
- Material – Acrylic – Maroon Pearl
- Color – Deep Cranberry Reds with Iridescence
- Length – 6 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .548 in
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – Unscrew two halves
- Weight – 2.5 oz
- Ink Color – Black Ballpoint
- Ink Cartridge Type – Upgraded, Schmidt Easy-Flow Parker style refill
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Handcrafted Pens Crafting Process
The ink pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added.
Materials: antique copper, copper, acrylic, metal, Maroon Pearl Acrylic, black ink.