Mechanical Pencil, Handmade Pencil in Chrome and Birdseye Maple
This mechanical pencil features a refined, faceted, hexagonal nuts and bolts design that has great balance for a superior writing experience. Pencil has a super quiet, smooth action click mechanism. The mechanical pencil was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Wood, Birdseye Maple, has been turned, sanded and polished to a soft shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Mechanical Pencil ships with instructions for use in a hard clear topped case for protection or gift giving.
Handcrafted Mechanical Pencils Chrome Plating
Chrome plating is extremely durable plating. Under normal use, this plating should hold up for many, many years. Chrome is durable, beautiful and the choice of many of our customers. It is a "go to" plating.
Handmade Mechanical Pencils Birdseye Maple
Bird's Eye is a type of figure that occurs within several kinds of wood, most notably in hard maple. It has a distinctive pattern that resembles tiny, swirling eyes disrupting the smooth lines of grain. It is somewhat reminiscent of a burl, but it is quite different: the small knots that make the burl are missing. It is not known what causes the phenomenon.
This extremely rare bird’s-eye figure is in demand worldwide and has been for over 150 years. In many foreign countries, bird’s-eye maple is considered a status symbol and ranks among the most expensive woods in the world. In addition to the uniqueness of the bird’s-eye figure, it is only found in limited localities in the United States and Canada which adds to the demand for this maple tree anomaly.
Mechanical Pencils Features and Specs
- Pencil Type – Mechanical
- Pencil Type Operation – Click Top
- Fittings – Chrome
- Material – Wood – Birdseye Maple
- Color – Tans and Cream
- Length – 5-3/4 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .440 in
- Pencil Operation – Button click on top of pen to extend and retract
- Weight – 1.2 oz
- Lead Type – 2mm
- Includes – Extra 5 pack of lead
- Includes an Extra Eraser
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
- Replacing Lead – press the plunger and hold down. Slide a new lead stick through the tip to the desired extension
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pencils
- All of my mechanical pencils are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pencil is the actual pencil that you will receive
- All pencils will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each mechanical pencil is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Ink Pen Crafting Process
The Industrial Style Mechanical Pencil is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pencils are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added
Materials: chrome, birdseye maple, metal, lead.