Mechanical Pencil, Handmade, Industrial Pencil in Gunmetal and Wormy Chestnut
This mechanical pencil features a refined, faceted, hexagonal nuts and bolts design that has great balance for a superior writing experience. Pencil has a super quiet, smooth action click mechanism. The mechanical pencil was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Wood, 100 year old Wormy Chestnut, has been turned, sanded and polished to a soft shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Mechanical Pencil ships with instructions for use in a hard clear topped case for protection or gift giving.
Handcrafted Mechanical Pencils Gunmetal Plating
Our Gunmetal plating is the color of slightly grey satin Chrome. It consists of black nickel plated over brass or other substrate metals
Handmade Mechanical Pencils 100 year old Wormy Chestnut
It is believed that in 1904 a forester from the Bronx Zoo brought in Asian chestnut trees to decorate his homestead. It was in these tress that a blight called Endothia parasitica was born. The fungus which was unintentionally brought into America quickly spread. In less than 10 years the American chestnut was all but extinct.
The worm holes you see when you look at reclaimed chestnut were created by a beetle that bored into the deadwood, finding it a great source of nutrition. These beetles quickly mass produced, and soon infected not only the American chestnut, but much of the oak trees, pine trees, and black walnut tress here in the Appalachians. It was then that wormy chestnut was born. The holes have been filled when making this pen, the beauty and worth is in the wood itself.
Mechanical Pencils Features and Specs
- Pencil Type – Mechanical
- Pencil Type Operation – Click Top
- Fittings – Gunmetal
- Material – 100 year old Wormy Chestnut
- Color – Tans and Browns
- Length – 5-3/4 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .440 in
- Pencil Operation – Button click on top of pen to extend and retract
- Weight – 1.2 oz
- Lead Type – 2mm
- Includes – Extra 5 pack of lead
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
- Replacing Lead – press the plunger and hold down. Slide a new lead stick through the tip to the desired extension
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pencils
- All of my mechanical pencils are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pencil is the actual pencil that you will receive
- All pencils will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each mechanical pencil is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Ink Pen Crafting Process
The Industrial Style Mechanical Pencil is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pencils are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added
Materials: gunmetal, wood, wormy chestnut, metal, 2mm lead.