Sketch Pencil, Handmade 5.6mm Mechanical Pencil in Gold and Figured Yellowheart Wood
Enjoy the convenience and durability of this handcrafted, compact, heavy duty custom pencil at home, shop, studio or work. Made with durable Upgrade Gold and beautiful Figured Yellowheart Wood, The mechanical pencil features an unbreakable 5.6mm lead, a precision collet mechanism, built-in sharpener and an attractive clip. Pencil includes an 80 mm length of 5.6mm 4B Soft lead installed and an extra pack of 3 colored leads. This Mechanical Sketch Pencil was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Yellowheart has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a satin shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Mechanical Pencil ships with instructions for use in a hard clear topped case for protection or gift giving.
Mechanical Pencils Upgrade Gold Plating
Upgrade gold plating means that the parts are plated using the rack method and that small amounts of cobalt or palladium are added to the plating chemicals. This enhances the durability of the gold plating. This results in a more durable finish than the tumbled method.
Sketch Pencils Figured Yellowheart
Commonly referred to as Pau Amarello, which is Portuguese for “yellow wood”. Few woods are as consistent and vibrant a yellow as Yellowheart. The wood is also sometimes sold as Brazilian Satinwood, though it is not to be considered a true satinwood. Pau Amarello trees are found almost exclusively in the State of Para, Brazil. Heartwood color ranges from pale to golden yellow, darkening only slightly with age. Sapwood is a pale yellow/white. Grain is usually straight, though some figured pieces may have wavy or interlocked grain. Yellowheart has a fine uniform texture and a naturally high luster.
Handmade Sketch Pencil Features and Specs
- Lead Pencil Type – 5.6mm Click Pencil
- Pencil Type Operation – Click Top
- Fittings – Upgrade Gold
- Material – Wood – Yellowheart
- Color – Yellow and Light Browns
- Pencil Length – 4-3/4 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .590 in
- Weight – 1.6 oz
- Lead Type – 5.6mm 4B Soft
- Sharpener – In cap, Unscrew to use >
- Includes – Extra 3 pack of lead; red, green, blue
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
- Replacing Lead – press the plunger and hold down. The jaws holding the lead will release the lead. Slide a new lead stick through the open jaws to the desired extension
Additional Information on Handcrafted Mechanical Pencils
- All of my Mechanical Pencils are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pencil is the actual pencil that you will receive
- All Mechanical Pencils will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each Mechanical Pencil is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Mechanical Pencils Crafting Process
The Sketch Pencil is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The Mechanical Pencil is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pencils then have 10 coats of finish applied and the Mechanical Pencils is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added.
All of my Mechanical Sketch Pencils and Mechanical Pencils use standard sizes of leads. They are all readily available at local Office and Art stores as well as on-line.
Materials: Gold, Figured Yellowheart, wood, metal.