Mechanical Sketch Pencil in Black Chrome and Spalted Tamarind
Enjoy the convenience and durability of this handcrafted, compact, heavy duty custom pencil at home, shop, studio or work. The mechanical pencil features an unbreakable 3mm lead, a precision collet mechanism, built-in sharpener and an attractive clip. Pencil includes a 90 mm length of 3mm lead installed and an extra pack of 3 leads. This Mechanical Sketch Pencil was individually handcrafted through a long process and is one of a kind. The Spalted Tamarind has been turned, sanded and coated with 10 layers of finish and polished to a satin shine that is extremely beautiful and durable. Mechanical Pencil ships with instructions for use in a hard clear topped case for protection or gift giving.
Mechanical Pencils Black Chrome Plating
Black Chrome offers a unique alternative to traditional plating's that works extremely well with lighter color woods or dark colored wood to evoke that "tactical" look. The unusual "non-metallic" black color makes Black Chrome a favorite.
Sketch Pencils Spalted Tamarind
Spalted Tamarind is a beautiful exotic wood often found lying on the forest floor. The rotting effect on Tamarind creates the spalted look that varies from piece to piece. Spalting is a by-product of the rotting process that is carried out by a vast array of stain, mold and decay fungi, that are found naturally on the forest floor. When the temperature and humidity are right, spalting can cause many different and beautiful patterns in rotting wood. Before turning, the wood is stabilized, to ensure hardness and durability.
Handmade Sketch Pencil Features and Specs
- Lead Pencil Type – 5.6mm Click Pencil
- Pencil Type Operation – Click Top
- Fittings – Black Chrome
- Material – Wood – Spalted Tamarind
- Color – Browns and Creams and Black
- Pencil Length – 4-1/4 in
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .560 in
- Weight – 1.5 oz
- Lead Type – 5.6mm 4B Soft
- Includes – Extra 3 pack of lead
- Includes case shown in photo for display or gifting
- Replacing Lead – press the plunger and hold down. The jaws holding the lead will release the lead. Slide a new lead stick through the open jaws to the desired extension
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pencils
- All of my mechanical pencils are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pencil is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pencils will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each mechanical pencil is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
The sketch pencil is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pencil is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pencils then have 10 coats of finish applied and the pencil is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pencils are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added.
Materials: wood, spalted tamarind, black chrome, metal.