Steampunk Pen, Handmade Ballpoint Pen with Antique Brass and Copper Fittings and Steampunk Gears with Watch Face in Acrylic
Here is a Ballpoint Pen straight out of Victorian science fiction and the industrialized 19th century. Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates modern technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery.
The Steampunk genre has re-ignited a love of old fashioned materials and is all about mixing the old and new; fusing the usability of modern technology with the design aesthetic and philosophy of the Victorian age. This Pen is designed around this aesthetic; the Ballpoint Pen combines flat head screws, riveted design patterns, replica Gatling gun barrels, a Bolt Action mechanism plus a mixture of industrialized Antique copper, pewter and brass finishes. The intricate and complex design of this pen will have you seeing something new every time you look at it. Pen includes leatherette covered wooden box with clear top for display or gifting.
Steampunk Pens Antique Brass and Copper Plating
Antiqued brass components have a brass, copper or zinc base with a brass plating. The components are then darkened to give them a "distressed" (oxidized) appearance. The authentic patina and natural darkening brings out the details of the finish and creates a unique feel with a charm all its own.
Antiqued copper plate is copper plating that has been darkened to provide "distressed" (oxidized) appearance. It gives the components an aged copper look, but without the verdigris.
Copper offers a unique beauty and warmth. Because copper is soft by nature, these pens feature this plating will often have a protective clear layer on top of the copper plating to increase resistance to wear. The authentic patina and natural darkening brings out the details of the finish and creates a unique feel with a charm all its own.
Steampunk Pens Watch Gears in Acrylic
This Steampunk Pen has a real watch face with watch gears and parts imbedded in clear acrylic resin. The watch gears, copper wire and metal plating highlight the Steampunk Genre and make a spectacular one of a kind Pen. The detail is amazing and authentic with the real parts embedded, not just an image as in some pens. The Acrylic material is crystal clear for detail viewing and has been turned and polished to a high shine that is extremely beautiful and durable.
Steampunk Pens Features and Specs
- Pen Type – Ballpoint
- Pen Type Operation – Bolt Action
- Fittings – Antique Brass and Antique Copper
- Material – Acrylic – Steampunk Watch Face, Gears and Parts
- Color – Brass, Copper and Pewter
- Length – 5-3/4 inch
- Width (measured at point of finger contact) - .554 inch
- Weight – 2.7 oz
- Replacing Ink Cartridge – Unscrew Tip
- Pen Operation – Slide and Lock Bolt Handle to extend and retract
- Ink Color – Black Ballpoint
- Ink Cartridge Type – Upgraded, Schmidt Easy-Flow Parker style refill
- Includes Display Case in Photo
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of my ink pens are handcrafted on a lathe in my shop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- All pens will ship within 24 - 48 hours
- Each ink pen is unique; no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art.
- All of our wood products are purchased through legally licensed providers that provide exotic woods from sustainable forest product areas.
Ink Pen Crafting Process
The Steampunk pen is constructed first by hand selecting each piece and then cutting, drilling and turning the pen to its final shape on a lathe. The pen is then sanded 7 times with progressively finer grits (150, 220, 320, 400, 600, and 800) of sandpaper, to achieve a very smooth surface and a diameter tolerance of .001 - .002 in, for a smooth transition with the metal parts. Wood pens then have 10 coats of finish applied and the ink pen is sanded again 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits to a high shine or satin finish. Acrylic and Tru-Stone pens are sanded 9 times with sandpaper to 12,000 grits for a high shine and then a polish is added.
Materials: watch parts, copper, brass, acrylic, black ink.